Saturday, November 5, 2011

No Guesswork

Well, there are certain advantages to having a daughter with a flare for the dramatic. There is relatively no guesswork involved in determining her feelings on any given matter. Take, for instance, this morning. We were busy preparing for a birthday celebration for our littlest guy. She awakened into a frenzy of excitement (which means lots of movement and lots of noise). It was getting to me. As I was trying to finish cleaning up and finish cooking, she was running about moving things around. And I felt the heat rising.

Then there were a couple of things that set me off (regarding voice tones and spills). I raised my voice and joined in on the not so attractive tone of voice. I asked her (loudly and with rudeness) to go to her room. She looked at me in tears and said, "You're breaking my heart talking to me like that." I picked her up, put her on the counter, and apologized for using a rude voice. I told her I was throwing mine out the window, and asked her to work with me to get ready. I told her I needed her to calm down some, and to choose a kind voice, too. I then decided to get a bit more creative with channeling her energy into something more productive.

It was a whirlwind of a day, full of blessing and craziness. I am thankful for the mirror today that helped me stop in my tracks and realize my own hypocrisy.

No comments:

Post a Comment